Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Celebrate Myself

I think that the purpose of this blog post is to make you reflect what kind of person you are and how you go about life.  For example, Emerson, Thoreau, and Whitman all talk about this idea of going back to nature and reconnecting with all of it.  To be able to live off the land, so to speak. Which I agree with, I have been able to reconnect with nature, but not to the extreme that Christopher McCandless (from Into the Wild) took it to be.  I have taken some long camping trips with friends at places like Isle Royal national park, or the porcupine mountains. And when you go on these trips you loose this connection to the outer world.  You create this new schedule, waking up and sleeping with the rising and setting of the sun.  And in some ways I wish I could stay at these places because you tend to worry less, and there is something rewarding, like these authors say, to interact with the harsh yet beautiful nature that is around us.
But then I also acknowledge how I live when I'm back home, but what I find interesting is that it is not much different then when I'm surrounded by nature.  I think that I am naturally determined and attentive.  Which I guess I can celebrate.  I am always very determined whether it is doing better in my classes, or finally getting to my campsite after hiking twelve miles.  And I have noticed that I'm also pretty observant if it be that a storm is coming in so we better start walking quicker, or that my friend is having a hard time with something in his/her life.
And that last point is something that is really important to me.  I think that while I'm defined by who I want to be, I'm also very aware of the people around me.  Relationships are really important to me, and I try my best to take care of them.

1 comment:

  1. So Isabel, why exactly do you celebrate yourself? Does either of the two lifestyles result in more self-appreciation and/or celebration?

    ReplyDelete