Sunday, September 29, 2013

Modern Puritan


            When I think about comparing the Puritans to a modern day society today, I think about the characteristics of the puritan society.  Form literature like the Crucible and the Scarlet Letter, I understand that the people that made up those communities could be harsh and judgmental.  And when I think of a community that has these same characteristics, I can’t help but thinking about High School. Schools can be somewhat unforgiving if you make a mistake.  There are definitely zero-tolerance rules that they have.  And depending on the mistake you make it could affect your future.  You could be expelled and have to go to a different school, and already have a bad reputation.  And from there it can really affect what happens later on.  And just because of one stupid mistake. 
            And it is not just the administrators, but sometimes (most times) the worst part can be the other students.  And I’m fortunate that this hasn’t happened to me, but some kids can be very mean to others.  Even if they never even talk to the other person.  There can always be gossip and rumors, leading to student feeling like an outcast.  Which is basically what happened to Hester in the Scarlet Letter.  And it is not just the gossip but also how long your mistake can last.  Sometimes it seems as if it never leaves, it always follows where you go.  People start to judge you on the mistake that you made and look at you as if you are a different person. 
            I don’t like that this is the case today, and hopefully schools will make an effort so this doesn’t continue. 

1 comment:

  1. I felt like you put this post in a very interesting route because I never thought about the modern Puritan being compared to high school but I do agree in the sense that it can be compared to high school because it's really strict at times with the rules. Good job!

    ReplyDelete